Summer is right around the corner, and the warmer weather is already here, which means more outdoor adventures after work, more time at the pool, and more getaways! However, with the summer fun comes a change to schedules and routines. For many, this means there is less time for cooking, exercise, and health goals. But what if we told you that you don’t have to put your goals and wellness journey on pause during the warmer months? There are many ways to keep your health a priority as summer heats up.
Summer, The Well Balanced Way
Barbecues, graduation parties, vacations, oh my! All can seem like a wrench thrown into nutrition goals. However, remembering how to build a well balanced plate, ditching the all or nothing mindset, and simply enjoying good food and even better company can lead to a stress-free summer. The summer months offer an opportunity to create wonderful memories and oftentimes that includes yummy treats which should be enjoyed guilt-free! Every little effort counts, whether that’s cooking at home 2x per week, eating a side of veggies at 1-2 meals, or going on walks on your lunch break.
Nutritious Food, Fast
If time is more scarce in the summer, do not worry because there are plenty of delicious recipes that can be done in a flash.
Recipes in 10 minutes or under:
- Mexi-Chicken Avocado Cups Recipe | Allrecipes
- Really Red Coleslaw | Better Homes & Gardens (bhg.com)
- Vegetarian Portobello Mushroom Burger Recipe — Eat This Not That
Recipes in 30 minutes or under:
- Grilled Peach, Rice & Arugula Salad Recipe: How to Make It (tasteofhome.com)
- Herbed Tuna Salad Recipe: How to Make It (tasteofhome.com)
- Grilled Chicken Salad with Blueberry Vinaigrette Recipe: How to Make It (tasteofhome.com)
If you find yourself in the car more often in the summer between driving to the beach, drop offs and pickups from camp, or summer get-togethers, then having accessible yet nutritious snacks might be helpful. Keep these in the car or pantry for easy access no matter where you are:
- trail mix
- jerky sticks
- protein bars
- crunchy chickpeas
- individually packaged popcorn or nuts
- crackers and peanut butter
- protein powder (mix with water or milk of choice)
- perishable items that are easy to grab on the way out of the house:
- cheese sticks
- baby carrots
- shelled edamame
- pre-cut veggies (peppers, cucumbers, radishes, etc.)
This time of year is meant to be enjoyed without the sacrifice of your health goals. Finding quick and easy recipes, bringing fruit or veggies with you to a cook-out, stocking up on nutritious grab-and-go items, and practicing balance will help create a summer without worry. If you are interested in hearing more about sticking to health goals in the summer then watch our most recent webinar. And as always, enjoy the journey!