I believe being healthy is more than just eating a few extra servings of fruits and veggies (although it doesn’t hurt to start there!). As you may have noticed I’m equally concerned with incorporating physical activity into your own health plan. The other piece of the puzzle is stress management.
In a daily reflection book Hope for Today, I came across the following words of wisdom that I wanted to share;
“I’ve also heard the word anger is just one letter short of danger. I knew my anger was leading me in a hazardous direction. In remembering this warning […] I switched quickly from anger to gratitude. Instead of dwelling on the negative, I consider things I could be thankful for at that moment.”
While we may not be able to control certain emotions, everyone gets to decide on their response to those feelings. Harboring angry feelings is not only unpleasant for your mental health; it can also have negative effect ones physical well being. Next time you find yourself brewing on hurtful or otherwise unhappy thoughts, try listing 5 things you’re grateful for in that very moment.
For your next Friday pizza night consider building your own! Below you can see how I constructed a delicious and simple margarita pizzarit.
- 1 store bought pizza crust, whole wheat
- 1/2 jar marinara sauce
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced into rounds
- Fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella (fresh or buffalo is extra yummy!)
- 2-3 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 cup chicken, cooked, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven as instructed on pizza crust package.
- Assemble pizza by topping with sauce, tomatoes, basil, chicken and cheese.
- Bake as instructed and eat with a colorful side salad for one balanced meal.