Thursday, June 1, 2017
The kids are out of school, summer weather is here, and today is the first day of June. Hellllloooo summer!
I was reminded recently that we can let our summer happen to us, or we can be proactive and design the summer we want. I don’t know about you, but one full of adventure, magic, and memories sounds nice.
A summer like that won’t happen all on its own, but with a little bit of thought, we can make it happen. All it takes is a little break from our everyday routines – an adventure or two.
In a recent podcast, Gretchen Rubin, author of The Happiness Project, pointed out that when we disrupt our routine a little bit, and embrace the magic of summer, it can make time feel as if it’s slowing down. Having a break in our year, something fun and different to look forward to, can make our life more rich and memorable.
Doesn’t that sound lovely??
Even for busy, full-time professionals, summer can be a chance to break up our routine. Here are some really simple ideas I’ve come across that could make your summer special.
- Have a fun lunch date every week with friends, family, and coworkers – switch up your date or your location each time
- Try a new group activity each weekend like free yoga in the park, local hiking or swimming.
- Have a cook-off competition with your friends and family.
- Explore new foods! Try as many summer vegetables (ones that you don’t normally eat) as you can.
- Explore a different park in NC each week.
- Design your own bucket list of adventures to complete by the end of summer.
- Join us on our Well-Balanced community adventures!
Food for thought:
Will your summer just happen to you or will you make it magical?
Tell us in the comments how you will design your summer!